Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Upside Down Rule of Christ

Have you ever noticed Jesus does a lot of things backwards? Here he is, the Son of God, the King of Kings, and yet when he talked to people he was always calling himself the Son of Man, which basically means “The Human Being.” He totally downplayed his greatness.

And he was always telling the disciples all his secrets; how to do all the great stuff he did. He didn’t keep anything just for himself. In fact, he told them they would do even greater works themselves.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.” John 14:12 14 NKJ.

And just in case any of us were going to wonder later whether we qualify as his disciple, able to do all these great things, he explains that too, a few sentences later:

“ . . . you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.” Judas (not Iscariot) said to Him, “Lord, how is it that You will manifest Yourself to us, and not to the world?” Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.” John 14:20-23.

In other words, anyone who becomes his follower is truly his disciple. Don’t forget, his disciples healed people, even raising some from the dead. And we can be his disciples too. He withheld no important work from them, and he withholds no important work from us either. He didn’t save any special job for himself, except for the redemption of all mankind. That one he did himself!

There’s one final important way disciples must be like Jesus. I think we often forget:

But Jesus called them [his disciples] to Himself and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those who are great exercise authority over them. Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant. And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.” Matthew 20:25-28.

Backwards and upside down!

No comments: